Does bad breath (halitosis) get in your way of living life to the fullest? Do you find yourself constantly wondering what others think of you when you open your mouth or speak near them? As a Boynton Beach dentist, we know how detrimental this condition can be.
But guess what? You’re not alone. Studies reveal that 50% of adults develop bad breath at some point in their lifetime.
In this blog, we’ll delve into the causes of this condition and how to prevent it.
The primary causes of bad breath are …
- plaque and food particles
- untreated gum disease
- bacteria trapped in the tongue
- infections of the throat, mouth, and nose
- tobacco use
- dry mouth
- chronic diseases such as diabetes.
The good news is that you don’t have to be stuck with bad breath. Here are a few things you can do to prevent it before it starts or keep it at bay …
- Brush and floss regularly. Keep up your oral hygiene routine at home to eliminate the bacteria that can cause your breath to smell funky. Don’t forget to brush your tongue!
- Watch your diet. Reduce your intake of sugar and foods such as garlic, onions, dairy, canned tuna, and horseradish.
- Prevent dry mouth. Drink water and avoid tobacco products, coffee, alcohol, and pop. You can also chew on sugarless gum to generate more saliva.
- Look after your dentures or other dental appliance. If you wear something in your mouth, it’s a must you clean it as frequently as your Boynton Beach dentist has directed.
- Buy a new brush. It’s important to switch out your old brush for a new one every three to four months.
Last but not least… don’t miss your dental visits! Your oral health experts at Ocean Dental Studio can help keep your smile fresh with annual or biannual cleanings. We will inquire about your medical history and work with you to come up with a plan to keep your bad breath under control. Call now!
Yours in excellent dental health,
Dr. Michael Rodriguez, your Boynton Beach dentist